Following in the footsteps of different tech firms, Twitter is beefing up its security to make it tougher for outsiders — together with the government — to uncover data, the corporate introduced Friday. Twitter has added ahead secrecy, a safety measure that uses brief, particular person keys to encrypt every net session, as an alternative to counting on a single grasp key.
Championed by Google, ahead secrecy manner an out of doors group cannot use the identical key to decrypt earlier messages. The additional security will add some lag time when connecting to Twitter — about one hundred fifty milliseconds in the us and up to a 2d in countries that might be farther away from Twitter’s servers. Two Twitter engineers advised the New York occasions. But the company thinks the prolong is price it.
- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to retire within 12 months
- Twitter hires NBC News’ Vivian Schiller to oversee news operations
- Twitter beta app for Android sports, a brand new interface, brings additional features
- Google patents software to show boring Facebook status
- Google plans to show standing messages into comics
Previous to these 12 months, Edward Snowden leaked data that the national security agency spied on tech firms. Spurred via the leaks, several expertise firms, together with Google and fib, stated they had adopted further security features to protect user knowledge.